Ok, so here goes.
I'm in love. His name is Adam.
He's amazing. I've never felt more adored in my life. More than that, however, we have tons of fun.Let's start off with our adventures. About 2 weeks after we started dating, he asked me to go up to his hometown, Glasgow, Scotland. He is a trustee for a charity called The John John Trust, in memory of a friend of his who died on a build in Africa. The trustees put on a ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee)--a traditional Scottish dance--raising money to put kids in Africa through elementary and secondary school. I was going to go to Ireland that weekend to listen to Noam Chomsky speak, but I lost my visa so I couldn't leave the UK. And while it was a bit soon to go "meet the parents" I realized I was here for a cultural experience. What better way to start that off than watching real Scottish men dance in kilts with real Scottish women? Needless to say, I made the right decision. I hopped on a bus, drove 8 hours and tried to dance the night away (I get dizzy really easily.) More than anything, it was great to see Adam in action. He is a natural leader with an insane amount of charisma. Looking back I realize that I never stood a chance. He was just too good to pass up.
After the ceilidh, we became inseparable. We started having mini adventures in Cardiff, discovering new places and trying new things. We went to rugby games,
visited his Aunt and Uncle at their amazing house in southern England (I touched a wild pony!), celebrated Guy Fawkes Day ("Remember, remember the 5th of November), hosted 'A British Thanksgiving' (yes, that is me chewing)
and had a 'Very Scottish Birthday' for Adam.
Sadly, you do not get the joy of seeing him in his kilt in this picture. During this, I began planning for Christmas. I had a great idea. We would leave the Monday after the term ended and take a week to get to Glasgow for Christmas. Adam thought it was a good idea as well, so we did it.During this week we took the train from Cardiff to Bath. In Bath there is an amazing spa. We spent tons of time just soaking and enjoying the sauna--there are 4, each with different therapy oils. It was amazing. After this we jumped on a late train and headed to Oxford. All the next day we walked around the university. The buildings are phenomenal. The highlight of Oxford? Christ Church. It's where a lot of Harry Potter was filmed. I stood inside the GREAT HALL!
*sigh* Amazing. From Oxford, we went to Liverpool and stayed with one of my flatmates for a couple of days. She was an fantastic tour guide, taking us to the quirky, historical and beautiful parts of Liverpool. We spent a lot of time in the Cavern, the club where the Beatles started. That night there was a John Lennon tribute with a John Lennon impersonator. It was so much fun; we sang "Imagine" with 'John Lennon' at the club where it all started. After Liverpool, we headed to York. What a beautiful city! The original castle walls are still standing protecting the city from the outside world. Once inside the city, you can walk the castle walls, which we did, because I am American and must do those things.
York Minster (it's big church) was awe-inspiring. It started to snow hard that night, but we didn't mind. We went on a walking ghost-tour of York. Our guide was so good; very funny. The tour ended at a street called "The Shambles." In it, flats are built on top of the shops and the shops are very close together. There are two flats that actually lean towards each other so that if two people stuck their arms out of their respective flats, they would be able to touch. This street is the model for Diagon Alley in Harry Potter. It actually looks like it too!
After York we headed to Newcastle and enjoyed the bustling city. They have a China Town, so Adam and I decided we were hittin' the buffet. We spent over 2 hours stuffing ourselves. Adam took a picture of me out-eating him.
I was so sick because of how much I ate. Our clothes also smelled so bad after that--like prawn crackers. We could hardly come near them; so they were promptly washed when we got to Glasgow. After Newcastle our last stop was in Carlisle. We went to Carlisle so that we could go to Hadrian's Wall, a Roman wall built to keep Scotland out of England (or maybe the other way around.) But, apparently it's 'closed' for the winter, in that no buses go up there. We could have braved the 1-foot of freshly laid snow and walked the four miles, but neither of us were up to the challenge. So, we went to the Carlisle castle instead.
I'm obviously doing a terrible job of holding it up. It was the biggest one I'd seen yet (Cardiff, Oxford, Newcastle). But the best part of Carlisle was our fancy dinner. We decided that we would splurge on one fancy dinner during our trip. We went to this Italian boutique restaurant. We were the first ones to arrive when it opened at 5:30pm. We bought a bottle of wine and two appetizers. Oh my goodness, the appetizers were some of the best food I've eaten; garlic mushrooms in a white wine sauce over garlic toast and soft mini bread sticks brushed with garlic butter and served with a bleu cheese dip and marinara. We could have just eaten that all night. Then the entrees came out and they were HUGE! Mine was amazingly cheesy, with a lot of mince and tomato. We just ate and ate and ate. Then we both had dessert. I couldn't move. It was a pretty expensive meal (around £80, so about $120) but honestly, it was totally worth it. Plus, we were there for hours just talking and learning more and more about each other. It was as romantic as it could get considering the two people who think romance in general is pretty cheesy (hm...maybe that's just me.) The next day we went to Glasgow and spent 10 days hanging out with his family, who are so lovely.One day during that 10 days, we went to Stirling to see the William Wallace (Braveheart guy) monument. I got to see his real sword. It's HUGE!
Also during our stay in Glasgow, I had been craving oysters on a half shell. So, Adam found one of the only places that serves them and took me. It was an hour and a half north of Glasgow in a tiny village on the shore of Loch Fyne. (Loch means Lake.) His sister Heather and her friend Lisa came along with us. We all had a blast. It was great to look out the window and see the Loch where the oysters that I was eating had called their home just before hitting my plate. The drive up and back was great. Scotland is so beautiful!
Then on the 30th, we went to Edinburgh to celebrate Hogmany (New Years.) New Years Eve was fun--a huge street party with tons of food and live music. But the best part of our trip to Edinburgh was the night of the 30th. The city called the event, "The Fire and Lights Show." What it ended up being was a heaven for pyros. There were so many fires all over the place on the Royal Mile and sparks were flying everywhere. The pictures are insane.
Two weekends ago, we went to the coast of southwest Wales and enjoyed a coastal town called Tenby. So beautiful! It looks like Greece,
Anyway, that's what we've been doing thus far. He leaves for an internship on Sunday in London with BBC World Service for two weeks. I am going to miss him. But I guess it's practice for the 4 months that I am in San Francisco finishing my degree. Blah.
Alright, I'll let you get back to your life. More to come though!
whoohoo! I am way excited you have a blog!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! I feel like I know Adam a little better! lol
My parents are going to Scotland and taking the three little kids. I am so jealous. I LOVE to travel, although I haven't got to much.
I'm glad that you are so happy with Adam. He seems fun and good for you! Although I haven't met him...:)
Love the blog keep it coming. I'm enjoying hearing about your adventures!!
ReplyDeleteYou guys are too cute! Thanks for the invite to your blog! btw I tried lobster for the first time the other day and didn't like it. I am lame haha.
ReplyDeleteFun!! It sounds more like you're on vacation... not going to school. Adam sounds amazing, I'm glad you found a guy who knows how awesome you are, and is equally awesome. When are you going to be back, are you going to visit the parents? We'll be in Newport the first weekend of June... or if you come to Utah, we'll drive down so Max cam meet his Auntie Amee
ReplyDeleteSharon, I would love that! I want to meet Max! I'm so happy for you! He looks like he's gonna be fun. You are such a good little mommy. I don't get back until the end of August and even then, I'm moving to San Francisco for 4 months. I will be in Newport for Labor Day weekend because of our family reunion. I'm looking into a Utah visit, so we'll have to work something out.
ReplyDelete